Australia Day Awards
Each year the people of Narrabri Shire are invited to nominate fellow citizens for the Australia Day Awards. The awards recognise outstanding achievements during the past year and/or contribution to the local community over a number of years.
The Awards will be presented on Australia Day 2024 at the Australia Day Celebration in Narrabri. The selection of recipients will reflect the nominations received and information available to the Judging Panel at the time. Narrabri Shire Council reserves the right to withdraw an Award if further information or the recipient’s conduct draws Australia Day Awards into disrepute.
NOMINATIONS CLOSE: 5.00PM, MONDAY, 30 October 2023
Citizen of the Year
Awarded to the person who has made an outstanding contribution to their community, made a significant contribution in a voluntary capacity, or has shown care and compassion to others, displaying citizenship and ethical leadership.
Young Citizen of the Year
Awarded to the young person who has demonstrated commitment to the community through involvement in sporting, social or community issues, has shown a high level of achievement in their education, through sporting or community activities, or demonstrated involvement in extra curricular activities such as volunteering and helping others in the community, or pursuits within arts and culture.
Community Service Award
Recognises the important work undertaken by a community group or organisation within the Narrabri Local Government Area in the last 12 months, demonstrating commitment and dedication to community service and improving the lives of others.
To recognise the outstanding work undertaken by either an individual or an organisation within environmental conservation, innovation, or leadership. The nominated project or program implemented must be able to demonstrate a benefit to the Narrabri Local Government Area.
Senior Sportsperson of the Year
Recognises the outstanding performance of a sportsperson in the previous 12 months within their chosen sporting code. The nominee must live in the Narrabri Local Government Area.
Junior Sportsperson of the Year
Recognises junior athletes who have achieved outstanding results during the previous 12 months within their chosen sporting code. The nominee must be attending a school in the Narrabri Local Government Area OR be a member of a local sporting association.
Award for Community Arts & Cultural Development
The Award for Community Arts & Cultural development recognises the important work undertaken within the arts and culture sector. Nominees may be recognised for their contribution through initiating new activities, which could include workshops, events, exhibitions, performances, public art projects or similar. The sectors of the community may include the indigenous community, youth, elderly people with a disability or minority groups. This award may also recognise work undertaken by an organisation or individual who has implemented strategies to advance our communities unique cultural assets for the economic and cultural benefit of the community as a whole.
Guidelines & Criteria
The award(s) eligibility shall generally be applied as follows:
- Nominees must be Australian citizens and residing in Narrabri Shire at the time of nomination;
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years;
- Self-nominations will not be accepted;
- Awards will not be granted posthumously;
- Sitting State and Federal politicians and current vice-regal officers are not eligible. Consideration of retired politicians and officers would be for contributions in addition to official duties;
- A person cannot receive a second award in the same category, but can be considered for recognition in a separate category in following years e.g. Young Citizen of the Year and then Citizen of the Year;
- The minimum age for the Citizen of the Year Awards is 25 years or older on January 26, 2024;
- The maximum age for the Young Citizen of the Year is 24 years or younger on January 26, 2024.
- Nominations will remain active for two years i.e. the year they are nominated and the following year.
How to Nominate
To nominate, please complete the Australia Day 2024 Awards Nomination Form. The nomination should detail the nature, duration and impact of the nominee’s contribution to Narrabri Shire.
In assessing a nomination, the judging panel may consider:
- the number of hours of work over and above normal employment duties;
- the benefit to the community from the nominee’s service or contribution;
- other outstanding achievements by the nominee;
- other recognition of the nominee’s contribution or work, including publicity;
- whether the nominee worked as part of a team and their role within the team.