Plumbing approvals

Water supply, sewerage and stormwater drainage work

Approval is required under section 68 of the Local Government Act to carry out plumbing works in connection with the following, whether in association or not with any other works or development approved by Council:

 - Carry out water supply work (B1)
 - Carry out sewerage work (B4)
 - Carry out stormwater drainage work (B5)

Such works may include installing an additional toilet or relocating a floor waste outlet. This work must be undertaken by a licensed plumber and be inspected by a Council Officer.

Application for such approval can made on the Section 68 Application Form - Water, Sewerage, Stormwater, and Onsite Sewage Management Works / Installation form on the On-Site Sewage Management Systems page.

Plumbing Approvals - Liquid Trade Waste

Narrabri Shire Council's Liquid Trade Waste (LTW) registration and inspection program aims to protect Narrabri Shire Council’s sewer system by monitoring all LTW Dischargers within Narrabri Shire in accordance with Council’s LTW Approvals Policy.

For further information on Liquid Trade Waste and to download application forms please click on the links below. More detailed guidelines can also be found below.

Application to transport septic waste(PDF, 132KB) 
Liquid Trade Waste Factsheet(PDF, 105KB) 
Discharge Liquid Trade Waste into Council's Sewerage System Application(PDF, 247KB) 
Approval to discharge Liquid Trade Waste (Classification A)

What is Liquid Trade Waste?

Sewerage systems are generally designed to cater for waste from domestic sources that are essentially of predictable strength and quality.  Liquid wastes generated by industry, small business and commercial enterprises are referred to as Liquid Trade Waste.  Liquid Trade waste may exert greater demands on sewerage systems and, if uncontrolled, can cause serious problems to sewerage schemes or the environment.

What is a Classification A Discharge?

This classification incorporates commercial establishments which produce kitchen or laundry type wastes in volumes less than 1kilolitre per hour.  Examples include take away food outlets, butchers, restaurants, laundries and hotels.

Why do Classification A discharges need to be managed?

Classification A discharges typically include a high content of oily products and organic material.  The organic material can overload the Sewage Treatment Process while oil and grease that cool in the sewer pipes can cause blockages.  As an example, one study has indicated that an unregulated discharge from a medium sized fast food outlet can cost Council up to $10,000 per year in increased operation and maintenance costs.

What are my responsibilities?

If you wish to discharge Trade Waste into a sewer operated by Narrabri Shire Council you will now need to seek Approval to do so.  You must complete an Application Form that will describe how you intend to manage your discharge.  Appropriate management of Classification A discharges typically includes a filter to trap solids and/or an approved grease trap (minimum size 1000 litres).  If your existing system does not currently comply you must provide a timetable that describes how you intend to improve your existing system.

When your application is approved a Trade Waste Service Agreement will be established between you and the Council which will identify the terms of approval.  These terms will include such things as volume and quality limits, maintenance and monitoring requirements, and other site-specific conditions.

What will it cost to discharge Classification A Liquid Trade Waste?

See Council's Fees and Charges to view current costs involved.

Where can I find more information about Liquid Trade Waste?

Copies of the document “Approvals Policy for Discharge of Liquid Trade Waste into Narrabri Shire Council’s Sewer Systems” are available from Council's Administration Building, 46 - 48 Maitland St, Narrabri. 

If you require advice regarding Liquid Trade Waste, or you would like help in completing the Application Form, please contact Council’s Planning and Environment Department.