Planning & Environment
The Planning and Environment functions of the Narrabri Shire Council are coordinated through the Development and Environment Department. Within this section of the website you will find information and application forms for different forms of development.
If you are planning on building please Contact Council and ask to speak with one of Councils Planners in order to determine the application requirements for the type of structure you are hoping to build.
NSW Planning Portal
NSW Planning Portal Information
The NSW Planning Portal is a digital space where community, industry and government can work together to better understand and meet their obligations under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. The ePlanning Program is an initiative of the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment. Its primary purpose is to drive the digital transformation of the NSW planning system.
Council will be notified when you have submitted your application via the Portal, and Council staff will review your application to determine if it is complete. You will receive a notification from the Portal if further action is required.
When all requirements have been met, you will receive a notification generated from the Portal requesting fees to be paid for your application. Fees are payable directly to Council via cash, EFTPOS or cheque.
Your application will then be formally lodged with Council and progressed through the assessment process. You will be able to monitor progress of the application via the portal.
NSW Planning Portal
This applies to:
- Development Applications (DAs)
- Section 4.55 Applications to modify a Development Consent, and
- Complying Development Certificates, Construction Certificate, Occupation Certificates and Subdivision Certificates where Council is nominated to complete the assessment or is appointed as the Principal Certifier for a development.
- Section 68 Applications (S68) which includes small permit applications and mobile food van applications.
Apply Online For A Development Application (DA)
To submit an application through the NSW Planning Portal, you will need to register and verify your account. If you already have an account, you will simply login. The factsheet below will assist you in the application process.
NSC ePlanning Factsheet
What you need
- Statement of environmental effects
- Owner's consent
- Cost estimate report.
During the application process you may be requested to upload further documents to support your application.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Create an account on, or log into, the NSW Planning Portal.
- Enter the required information.
- Complete the payer details.
- Upload the requested documentation.
- Review and confirm all the information you've provided.
- Complete the declarations.
- Submit your application.
Note: You may need to pay planning portal service fees during the application process which are different to the lodgement and assessment fees.
NSW Planning Portal Help Guides
Should you require assistance submitting an application via the Portal, it is recommended that you utilise the Quick Reference Guides created by Service NSW and available on a variety of topics including:
- Registering for an Account
- Navigating the Portal
- Submitting applications
- Providing additional information
NSW Planning Portal Quick Reference Guide
Your guide to the Development Application process
The guide is helpful for:
- People building a new home or planning a renovation.
- Small-scale developers.
- People preparing submissions on developments proposed in their area.
- Real estate sales people (giving pre-purchase advice).
- Project specialists (such as granny flat developers).
- Those wishing to learn more about the development application (DA) and assessment process.
DA Best Practice Guide For Homeowners(PDF, 2MB)
NSW Planning Portal Technical Support
Service NSW is available to provide technical support for the NSW Planning Portal.
All enquiries can be referred to Service NSW via:
Email Service NSW Phone Service NSW
NSW Planning Portal application tracker allows users to search for development applications and state significant applications within their Local Government Area.
- The Application Tracker allows you to search and track the real-time status of development applications from lodgement to determination.
- Filter your application search by project name or Council or expand the options to filter for a specific address, lodgement date, development type or status.
- Use the dropdown filters below to begin your development application search. You can then select your application from the interactive map or view the list of application results underneath.
NSW Planning Portal Application Tracker
NSW Major Projects Portal
For information, and a chance to have your say, on major projects where local Council is not the approval body, please visit the NSW Government Major Projects Portal.
The portal allows users to search by project name, address, Local Government Area or description.
NSW Major Projects Portal