Disclosure of Political Donations

Register of disclosure of reportable political donations to Councillors

Amendments made to the Local Government Act 1993 and Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 in relation to political donations and gifts became effective on 1st October 2008.

These amendments introduce obligations on applicants, those making submissions and decision makers in relation to the disclosure of information relating to political donations and gifts during the plan making or development assessment process.

When must an applicant/proponent make a disclosure?

A disclosure must be made by any person who has a financial interest in a planning application and who has made a reportable political donation in the two (2) years before a planning application is made and/or determined.

When must a person making a submission make a disclosure?

Any submissions must include disclosure of any reportable political contribution or gift made in the previous two years, and up to the time the application is determined, by you or your associate to anyone including:

  • All reportable political donation made to any local Councillor of the Council;
  • All gifts made to any local Councillor or employee of that Council.

A reportable political donation made to a local Councillor of any local Council includes any donation made at the time the person was a candidate for election to the Council.

You are advised that a person is guilty of an offence under s125 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 if the person fails to make a disclosure of a reportable political donation or gift if it is reasonable for that person to know such a reportable donation or goft should have been disclosed.  it is also an offence to make a false statement.  Currently, the maximum penalty is $22,000 or imprisonment of 12 months, or both.

If you require any further information as to the definition of the terms used, or clarification of your obligations, the Guidelines produced by the Department of Planning or a printed copy obtained from Council's Administration Office.