Careers with Council
Welcome to an exciting career opportunity at Narrabri Shire Council.
If you have ever considered a rewarding career in Local Government, then explore a range of career opportunities available at Narrabri Shire Council which is located in the north west of New South Wales.
Narrabri Shire Council offers a friendly and supportive working environment that encourages all employees to achieve a realistic work-life balance. Our employees take great pride in working at Narrabri Shire Council and becoming a Council employee is something that you too will find enjoyable and rewarding.
Employment Opportunities with Council
Visit the Current Vacancies section of this site to view current employment opportunities with Council.
Please note that all positions advertised are available for applicants who are citizens of Australia or who hold residency of Australia.
Why Work for Council?
Narrabri Shire Council is one of the largest employers in Narrabri Shire, offering an extensive array of employment opportunities in interesting positions. We employ over 200 staff and value their contribution to the shire. To retain our staff, we have some competitive working conditions, which are outlined below.
- Above award salary conditions under the Local Government State Award 2014.
- Leaseback vehicle arrangements subject to Council Policy.
- Four weeks’ annual leave per annum.
- Three weeks’ sick Leave and provision for carers leave.
- Long service leave available after 5 years of service.
- Superannuation, and the ability to salary sacrifice.
- Uniforms provided are for outdoor staff according to position requirements, and indoor staff are eligible for a uniform allowance.
Work / Life Balance
- Paid Parental Leave - staff who satisfy eligibility under the Award and relevant legislation are entitled to paid parental leave of nine weeks at full pay or 18 weeks on half pay.
- Alternatively, staff may be entitled to Make Up Pay, where Narrabri Shire Council tops up staff wages to the level of their normal weekly pay for 18 weeks.
- Paternity Leave - an employee with at least 12 months continuous service and who is a supporting parent is entitled to 10 days paid leave at the time of the birth or adoption of their child. Narrabri Shire Council offers eligible staff two weeks of concurrent parental leave.
- Flexible working arrangements.
- Time In Lieu Arrangements and Rostered Days Off - nine day fortnights for outdoor workers and 19 day months for full time indoor workers.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Narrabri Shire Council is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO). EEO is providing a fair go when being considered for a job, training opportunity, or other benefit, for which a person is skilled or qualified. Discrimination and harassment is not tolerated at Council. Council believes that diversity creates a more productive workplace, enabling Council to provide better services to the community.
Training and Career Development
Narrabri Shire Council was a winner of the 2012 and 2013 Best Business Awards for Business Fostering Trainees/Apprentices. We are dedicated to ensuring employees have the opportunity for professional development and growth through training and play an important role in skilling up the local workforce, particularly through traineeships for new entrants and existing workers.
Over the past 10 years, Council has had over 150 employees involved in the Australian Apprenticeship Program, which is a remarkable achievement for the Narrabri region.
For many employees the opportunity to undertake a traineeship allows them to enhance and upgrade existing skills as well as learn crucial new skills, which can be utilised and put into practice daily in the workplace. This not only benefits the employee but the community as a whole by upskilling the workforce, leading to a more efficient and effective delivery of services.
Through developing a strong network of contacts within the training industry and placing value on the benefits to all involved of further training, Narrabri Shire Council is confident it can continue to provide outstanding training opportunities, within a supportive framework, to its employees.
Traineeships have covered a variety of disciplines, including:
- Civil Construction (Plant Operations)
- Water Operations
- Local Government
- Asset Maintenance (Waste Management)
- Frontline Management
- Information Technology
- Library, information and Cultural services
Employee Assistance Program
This is voluntary, free and offers confidential and professional assistance to you and your immediate family.
Workplace Health and Safety Initiatives
Council takes Workplace Health and Safety seriously and the Human Resources team partners with Managers to address health and safety topics including:
- Drug and Alcohol program
- First Aid
- Working alone
- Working in extreme temperatures
- Asbestos management
- Hazardous substances
- Bullying and harassment
- Driver safety
- Workers on foot
- Office safety
- Manual handling
- Electrical tagging/testing
Staff Wellness Program
Narrabri Shire council introduced a staff wellness program for staff early in 2015 and is in the early stages of designing a targeted program which not only boosts the health and wellness of our employees, but contributes to Council being a great place to work.
To date, we have run a free online health assessment for all employees and their families, initiated a wellness champions focus group and delivered free flu vaccinations to Council staff.
- Invitation to participate in staff social clubs.
- 20% discount at The Crossing Theatre café for staff members.
- Free tea and coffee facilities.
- Learning and development opportunities and education assistance where applicable.
- Opportunity for salary progression through staff performance review process.
Expressions of Interest
Council sometimes has casual positions available and temporary work on offer. If you are interested in working for Council, please refer to the Expression of Interest openings under Available Jobs.
Narrabri Shire Council supports educational and community based work experience programs whenever practical. Work experience is voluntary work that is available for short periods only.
Please contact the Human Resources Team on (02) 6799 6815 for more information.
Narrabri Shire Library currently provides volunteering opportunities through the Library. If you are interested in volunteering, please call the Library on (02) 6792 3336.
If you are interested in finding out about other volunteer opportunities around Narrabri, contact the Human Resources team on (02) 6799 6815.
About Narrabri Shire
Narrabri Shire is an exciting area of regional NSW with plenty to offer anyone wishing to pursue a vibrant and busy country lifestyle. The expansive blue sky, stunning mountain ranges, scenic water ways and fresh air will encourage you to explore and share your experiences from this diverse area.
You will find the conveniences of city living within Narrabri Shire. There are modern cafes and restaurants as well as a state-of-the-art theatre complex bringing the latest movies and live performances to the community. There is a growing appreciation within the conference market of Narrabri Shire’s facilities offering professional convention and workshop services to local, national and international businesses.
A range of outdoor festivals are celebrated throughout the year. There is a wide assortment of social, cultural and sporting events to keep people of all ages and tastes entertained. Residents are never bored due to the amount of activities available for the whole family.
Narrabri Shire is a modern regional growth centre encompassing a strong business community without the stresses and pressures of a city environment. The area has diversified from its traditional agricultural base of grain, cotton, wool, beef and prime lamb production to coal, mining and gas extraction and exploration. The advent of these new resource based industries in conjunction with ancillary business is providing a breadth and depth of job opportunities for the Shire. The retail sector in each town continues to strengthen and diversify, creating dynamic shopping experiences, bringing city pleasures to the country. The topography of the area varies from fertile river plains through to rugged mountain ranges. As the lifeblood of the Shire, the Namoi River meanders through the vast plains. People who enjoy the outdoors will not be disappointed with the range of activities and sights within the Shire.